AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I played in the sandbox yesterday (PICS)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 6/17/2009 01:43 (#748010 - in reply to #747758)
Subject: RE: I played in the sandbox yesterday (PICS)

Wyoming

That's not dust - I can still see plenty of organic matter.

We'll go to Nevada and I'll show you "moondust." In Nevada, we call it "bug dust." By August, the soil is so dry and disintegrated into such fine dust that come the start of archery hunting season, we see city slickers come out with their four-wheelers and off-road rigs onto two-tracks that have been pounded so fine that it is like driving into a pond of super-fine talc.

We call them "poof holes." You'll be looking across the range, see a yahoo roaring up the road, and suddenly "Poof!" -- you see this huge cloud of super-fine dust from miles away. Hence the name, "poof hole." We would allow them to wallow in the hole for an hour or so, then we'd wander over to see how they were doing. Invariably, we'd find two guys turned tan-white with bug dust, with two muddy, weeping holes where their eyes usually were, wondering how they were ever going to get out of the hole.

If that were Nevada bug dust, you would not be able to see that planter. Matter of fact, you would not be able to see out the tractor windows, because the bug dust coats the windows due to electrostatic attraction.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)