AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven SCS 440 Monitor and NH3
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/16/2009 07:47 (#746771 - in reply to #746462)
Subject: RE: Raven SCS 440 Monitor and NH3

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
You have the two valve system which I would recommend. Here's how I would setup this system.

If the Raven console is a newer type, there are initial questions regarding the units of measure - US etc. These would need to be set properly as they probably are for the spray setup.

Since many NH3 bars have only one section, the total width in inches is entered into BOOM 1. BOOM 2 and BOOM 3 would be set to zero. The Speed Cal would be whatever number gives the correct speed.

If this is the same tractor as used with the sprayer and the tractor's radar is being used then the Speed Cal would be the same as spraying.

The Meter Cal can be done several ways. For a sprayer, the Meter Cal is the number stamped on the Flowmeter which is the Pulses produced when 10 Gallons passes through the flowmeter. This is the number that you would use for spraying since we do our thinking in Gallons.

For NH3, we can do our thinking several ways: in Gallons, in Pounds of NH3 or in Pounds of "N" within the NH3. All three ways can work.

If we do our thinking in one of these three equally correct ways, we must enter the target rate in those units.

For example, if you use the Raven Meter Cal for Gallons, then you must enter the desired target rate in Gallons/acre. The displayed rate would be in Gallons/Acre. The totals would be in gallons.

Most of our customers prefer to think in terms of Pounds of actual "N". That is when I ask them "how much do you want to apply" and they reply "Oh, about 150", they mean 150 Pounds of actual N per acre.

If this is the way you want to operate (most common), then a modified Meter Cal must be used. This is the Meter Cal for Gallons of water divided by 4.22. This will typically be a number around 170. The reason that 4.22 is used is that a gallon of liquid NH3 contains about 4.22 pounds of actual "N".

Then the operator enters in the desired target rate in pounds of N/acre (150, in my example). The system will do its best to match that number. The displayed rate will be in pounds of N/acre. The total will be in pounds of N.

If you wish to compare the Raven totals against your supplier's scale ticket you must remember the 82% factor. The suppliers scale will be measuring the total amount of NH3 that you used. Your Raven will be showing the amount of N that you used. Simply take 82% of the suppliers weight and compare it to your Raven's total.

The Valve Cal is usually recommended to be 2123 for the Standard Control valve that you have. Since NH3 is tougher to work with, I often use 2125 so as not to work the control valve to death. This means that the system need not adjust unless the calculated and applied rate differ by more than 5%.

The rates entered in Rate 1 and Rate 2 would be the desired rate in the unit chosen for the flowmeter. For my example this would be the 150 for Rate 1 and another rate for Rate 2. Rate 1 and Rate 2 can be different or the same. There is no electronic limit between them. However there is a practical limit of what would be reasonable and possible to deliver.

The displayed rate for the NH3 may not be as smooth as what you are accustomed to with spray. With a spray situation, we have a product that stays liquid at normal temperatures, is being delivered by a pump and passes through precise offices (tips).

None of these characteristics are true for NH3,

The product wants to becomes a gas (difficult to measure with a flowmeter) at normal temperatures. The deliver system is the tank pressure which varies with the temperature and other factors. The product enters the ground typically through some crude pipes with some holes in them. These factors make NH3 more difficult to work with.

Edited by tedbear 3/16/2021 11:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)