AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Angus vs Hereford, and other breeds
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MNfarmer85
Posted 4/25/2019 00:39 (#7457727 - in reply to #7457065)
Subject: RE: Angus vs Hereford, and other breeds

South Central MN
A sibling of mine raises Herefords, they seem to do well, and if you get rid of the bad tempered ones (goes for any breed) they are a heck of a lot easier to deal with than the Holsteins my dad used to feed out! Most of the calves leave as feeders so not many getting finished out here. Some sales barns have special Hereford sales, don't want to miss those if you are looking for a better price on them.

All beef breeds have something that makes them different, might be the way they gain from feed and the quality needed for optimal gain. Maybe the Herefords can gain the same on a bit rougher forage? No experience with Black Angus to compare. Holsteins needed a lot better feed to gain well vs. any beef types dad ever fed out. Guessing the 'Stein calves were cheap, but for a while switched to feeding more beef ones (most were some black haired animal that the full genetics of weren't known.) and those filled out a lot quicker.

The Angus breed does have a lot of variation in it, some good some bad. Also may contain ones that aren't "true" Angus.
I think a lot of the packers are looking for any black hided animal so they can slap an "Angus" label on it and sell it for a bit more. One grocery store chain around here however sells mostly Hereford, so may be regional but niche markets for them can be found. The meat they sell is better than the typical Walmart or other generic grocery store stuff, without comparing what breed it came from. A lot of the prices realized at a sales barn does reflect different levels of market hype at the end user in most cases. I'm just more biased towards Hereford or Hereford crosses, and think the whole "Angus" label on meat probably won't mean a whole lot to many people in a few years. To them its just another critter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)