AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting Calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

LJR
Posted 4/24/2019 11:45 (#7456630 - in reply to #7456604)
Subject: RE: Starting Calves

NW Ohio
That size group of cattle will be more of a local sale. Not enough to justify a semi and too many for one gooseneck load. Not saying that is a bad thing but it will limit your buyers to generally a 150 mile radius. I have found a decent market for groups that size in our area. Generally I think taking them to 5 weights is the most profitable. I hate selling holsteins weighing over 5 and love buying them. Seems you give away the weight you put on after 500#. Your buyers will likely be guys that put one group in a year. It’s easy to sell calves that are going to be fat in April and pretty tough to sell them when they’re going out in August so keep that in mind.

Pricing in your area you can just call around a few guys and get the market. Or if you want a rough idea figure backward off the board with a -15 basis and $.85 COG penciling a $150 profit and someone will usually buy them at that price. I don’t know of any historic data. Seems like if you can buy 5’s for $1.00 4’s for $1.10 and 3’s for $1.15-20 everything clicks .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)