AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thoughts on the whining around here
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

CMN
Posted 4/18/2019 19:31 (#7446900 - in reply to #7445720)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on the whining around here

West of Mpls MN about 50 miles on Hwy 12
Boy, that comment sure generated a few more comments.

I don't know if it's a smart move financially or not, we'll know in three years.

Lot's of comments on opportunity cost. I have always farmed rented ground, as well as my owned ground. Whatever I'm paying for rent, that is the land cost applied to my owned land as well. I will still be renting and farming 134 acres of some pretty marginal ground on the "West side of the crick". I will be growing NGMO soybeans. I have 5,000 bushels cash contracted for a few pennies over $10.00/bushel...I sure hope it keeps raining.

We will not have your average "rent it to the highest bidder" cash rent contract. The actual rent from the land will be about $20.00 to $30.00/ acre less than high rents paid here. A portion of the rent will be paid in bushels. I will be still be a farmer in the eyes of the IRS, and the FSA office.

My dryer and bins will earn extra $$/acre for me, and hopefully for my new business partner as well. He will gain harvest efficiency, and open up many more marketing opportunities for him...In my area a building site has more value if there are no bins or animal buildings on it.

Without going into details, on paper I should net $35,913.72 more on the acres, and drying/bin site I'm renting out this year rather than struggle here farming alone. It's not a big deal, but it beats going to work at Walmart.

I will be able spend more time helping my wife and daughter keep the businesses in town a float, drive tractor, combine, and truck, catch up on some badly needed tile, and building repairs, and spend a little more time with my special needs sons this summer...hopefully I'll earn my keep.

Coming to the decision I have, was not easy, it's taken over two years. It sure will be nice to have the never ending credit line paid off...for good.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)