AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why is my irrigated hay millet high nitrate?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 2/24/2019 11:11 (#7341096 - in reply to #7339024)
Subject: RE: Why is my irrigated hay millet high nitrate?

Southeast Colorado
I'm not a millet expert..........but we have learned to not add a lot of N to our sorghum sudangrass feed. It's kind of a fine line there because with no N you have very little protein in the hay. Keep in mind that residual N from a previous crop comes into play here as well. If we have plenty of moisture, and assuming we pretty much depleted the N because of the previous crop, 50-60 lbs of actual N would be tops for me. Even then if we cut any less than 2 dry tons/acre I would probably leave a lot of stubble when we cut since the Nitrate accumulates in the bottom portion of the stem. I think the reason drought perpetuates Nitrate issues is because there is just less plant material out there to be harvested. Anyway, those are my thoughts in our situation and I bet it relates to yours quite a bit. We usually put up anywhere from 1k to 2k bales/year and have definitely had to fine tune our fertility with regards to quality hay without Nitrate issues. A lot of it is influenced by mother nature but adding excessive N is definitely asking for trouble.

Edited by tmrand 2/24/2019 11:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)