AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody went back to full tillage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

two-twenty
Posted 2/24/2019 10:25 (#7340965 - in reply to #7340828)
Subject: RE: Anybody went back to full tillage?

NEIA
We no tilled back in the 90s in early 2000s and went back to tillage because we had lack of knowledge of what we were doing. The learning curve was steep then. Today we know till about a third of our Acres. Some of our best corn and beans have been coming from our no till. With low commodity prices it makes it hard to spend money on fuel, depreciation, and repairs on deep tillage equipment when yields can be very comparable with no till. With that being said I still am not ready to jump in with both feet and no till every acre. Soil types , fertility , and management practices are all a factor if no till or conventional tillage works . The one thing I have learned is that the soil is different after continuous years of no-till or strip till. Cover crops definitely add to that, but there is a steep learning curve with them too.
I recommend planting just a few Acres with no till. Continue with that field for several years and even incorporate some cover crops into it. It sounds weird but the soil will change over time. If you don't have the planter that can do the job hire them few Acres. The best way to learn is to get your hands dirty and your feet wet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)