AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Talk me out of spraying pre behind planter.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/28/2019 08:45 (#7278455 - in reply to #7277085)
Subject: RE: Talk me out of spraying pre behind planter.

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I've done this with the last planter and now the current planter. We use starter fertilizer on the corn also which is a separate ground drive system. As far as the drift situation, I use small flood tips but mount them so they point back rather than down. This allows me to mount them quite close to the ground. I haven't had problems with drift. I mix the spray for applying 10 GPA. I believe this is enough water as rain is needed anyway to take it down into the ground.

There's no doubt that it does slow down the planting process because there is another product to fill. We fill in my dooryard rather than hauling the seed, fertilizer and spray to the field. This works quite well for us since our land is close together and my dooryard is close to the center. This allows us to use a conveyor in my shop to fill the seed. Another old shed holds tanks for water, fertilizer and chemicals. Thus all mixing and loading is done in the yard.

I must admit that there are times like last year where I thought that we could get more planted if we skipped the spray with the planter and came back later. However once the spraying is done once the field is planted. The spray is controlled by an Ag Leader Liquid Product Control Module connected to a Raven flow meter, control valve and section ON/OFF valves. Both the spray and fertilizer for each row go through Wilger flow columns. I have had little to no problems with the spray.

I don't think spraying with the planter is right for every situation but we plan on continuing to do it this way.

Edited by tedbear 1/28/2019 08:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)