AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Welding on 10 year old hog gates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 12/17/2018 11:09 (#7177459 - in reply to #7177369)
Subject: RE: Welding on 10 year old hog gates

SE Manitoba
4G Farms - 12/17/2018 10:03

When I did have hog barns I always had good luck with 6010 rod. Before I came back to the farm I was a pipe welder and most carbon pipe jobs I was on always called for a 6010 root and hot pass or a tig root and hot pass before finishing with 7018. When I came back to the farm and rented some older barns to feed in , I did a lot of repairs with 6010 rod and seemed to work the best for me. Maybe that’s just because I was use to it IDK ?? May give it a try. It will penetrate thru a lot of rust and paint in my experience .

FYI make sure your on DC+ with 6010 rod

What's interesting is that the new parts are stainless and the old stuff is stainless and everyone is talking about using one of 7108, 6010/11 and 6013.

I would agree that 6013 leaves a great looking weld but it all too often doesn't have the penetration needed to get the job done.
6010 and 6011 are fairly similar and they will likely have plenty of penetration but the weld elongation capability is low so there are issues when something gets bent back and forth as another poster wrote.
7018 run hot could work but you're welding stainless to stainless and using 7018 is going to get you an interesting HAZ (heat affected zone) I would think it would rust much faster than if you did the next.
A 309 rod/wire is recommended, usually, for attaching stainless to any form of iron (non-stainless) is also quite usable for stainless to stainless but then what you are sticking together will determine what you use.

You might need to get more kinky on your gas to get a great job out of your mig welder.
Its not cheap but if you went to a tri-gas blend 90ish% Ar, 6 to 7 % CO2 and 2 to 3% He.
It will run very hot (like WAY hot) but then your penetration issues will go away. Be sure to set your wire speed high enough (that's your amps) and keep the volts up - - - I would suggest at least 24 and better if you can run things even higher (even 27 to 29 isn't out of the question).
I would suggest running an 0.035" wire - - - I know its thin and costs more but you can get great penetration with that tri-gas and still get enough wetting on the toes of your welds so that you won't be getting undercut all around your welds.

The same could be done with a 3/32" 309.
My experience welding stainless is that its freeze is slow enough so that things are often 'fun'. So I absolutely hate overhead with a passion but it too can be done (but I want my grinder!!).

If you do the job right once you will easily outlast the job not done that way easy 2:1.
Gord

With welding - - - -well the more you do the better you will get!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)