AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Talk me into/out of a chopper
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 12/16/2018 17:37 (#7175844 - in reply to #7175453)
Subject: RE: Talk me into/out of a chopper

SE Manitoba
habermak - 12/16/2018 14:27

That is the road I want to head down, to retain our own calves (I guess I didn’t state that in the OP but it’s just a longer term goal for now). We are 2-3 hours from any larger scale farming operations, freight to get anything in here is at least $35 ton. Locally grown hay (within 20 miles) seems to be priced up by that margin anyhow and it’s the same type/quality I grow as of now. I guess the question would be how much of a protein increase would a haylage/balage system gain and could it be mixed with local hay (and SOME freighted commodities) to get a ration developed for calves. Also to to retain condition, and some cows, gain condition before getting turned back out to desert after nursing a calf for 5 months all winter.

Dunno enough about your area but here are some of my ideas.

Take your advantages and make them work.
With irrigation you can produce some nice grasses and alfalfa/grass combinations. One long term option might be to move toward either sub-surface irrigation (cuts water needs) or toward pivots (I'd be looking at decent used stuff if it were possible).
If you can get straw without too much difficulty you could feed the cows with a mix of straw and good hay (means you need to do feed tests on your hay so that you aren't shooting in the dark).
You may need to occasionally top up the cows with a little bit of lightly rolled corn.
Your calves, on the other hand - - - I know this isn't the 'current' way of doing things but if you have great alfalfa hay you might want to sell the best stuff.
The pretty good stuff baled using a baler with those internal knives and then mixed with lightly rolled corn can give you a very good ration.
I get that today its mostly corn but if you have a good TDN on the alfalfa I think you might be quite surprised at your ADG.
If you have some grass with the alfalfa and the grass is at most in boot stage - - - - you will see that after they're on it you will find that they think its candy and the ADG will make you smile.
(If you can produce enough of that good forages - - - you may want to consider even finishing. That will take higher percentages of corn for at least the last 90 days (takes care of the yellow fat) and you're not too far from the slaughter house in NW Washington or maybe its a much more local abattoir that might just be interested - - - you have lots of options!!!)

Finding more calves to add to yours - - - well you would likely be ahead to cultivate a relationship with a good buyer.
I think the $5 to 6 you will pay him could be money well spent. It takes a while to get good at the buying and mistakes - - - well they're not cheap.
IMO the buying is where you make your money.
If you have the skills doing things like cleaning up horns and balls while trying to stay away from dinks - - - - well good money can be made but that depends on your skills.

Getting in corn - - - well if you have a good hopper bin or better even 2 that will each hold about 125% of the biggest regular grain hauler well then you buy from a farmer and get it close to harvest or use a I'll buy this much now and I'll need x by whenever to get your supply arranged. With even just your own calves you will be large enough so that you can easily buy by the truckload - - - that gets you more sellers.

Good luck!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)