AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How Much Cotton Seed Will Calves Eat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Texas Papaw
Posted 12/7/2018 18:29 (#7156140 - in reply to #7154938)
Subject: RE: How Much Cotton Seed Will Calves Eat?

Central Texas
Agree with Jeff and Toby, 3 times per week is plenty. I feed 1/2 of 5 gallon bucket of WCS per cow, 3 times per week to cows grazing dormant stockpiled bermudagrass or other grasses. That amounts to about 24 lb per cow, weekly. Wouldn't be concerned about calves eating it as actually more feed efficient to feed calves directly rather than thru mom.

Been a few years ago, but best I can remember there was research where different groups of cows were supplemented daily, every 3 days, and once weekly with protein. The feeding amounts were setup where all cows, regardless of group received the same total pounds in a week. IIRC the weight change of each group were little different regardless of how often fed.

Next week I plan to be out of town for a few days and have a place several miles away where am feeding wcs. In order to avoid the need for my neighbor, from needing to feed at other place, I plan to feed double the usual amount of wcs the day before I leave. Cows will go 5 days between feeding but am not concerned.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)