AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How far do some of you guys gravity feed livestock water?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 11/23/2018 02:43 (#7122240 - in reply to #7122226)
Subject: RE: How far do some of you guys gravity feed livestock water?

Yes this sound very doable. If you can get a minimum of 5 gpm I think you can make that work with your tank size. One thing if your tire troughs can't keep up you could put bigger storage water troughs if needed. Sounds like your only real friction loss would be down line, not excessive head pressure loss but pump can be figured for the friction you would have. So if can get 10 gpm from tank height, could maybe pump 14 hours a day in summer months?

I've never ran a solar system yet, I'm hoping to do a couple in the future. So I know their is a lot of people here that can help you in that respect. I can e-mail you a number of a guy that has done quite a few systems here in Idaho and Utah he is a pump man. He's worked with some high elevation systems. He will be the guy I use when the time comes.

As for the HDPE you pre-rip line , then run line on next pass. Weld it as you go or you can trench dirt spool to the side and weld it and kick it in. Try and buy the biggest spool you ripper can handle, 500' rolls is a lot of welding. We have done some ripping of PVC, but quit it when we went to HDPE. Problem with PVC is improper glue joints that show 10-20 years later.

Also I got to thinking if needed could a pad be built to lift tank higher? Maybe a day's work with a dozer and build a elevated pad to help.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 11/23/2018 02:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)