AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best planter add ons
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JAnderson
Posted 11/16/2018 11:27 (#7109137 - in reply to #7108563)
Subject: RE: Best planter add ons

McCanna, ND
mhagny - 11/16/2018 05:28

JAnderson - 11/15/2018 11:22
mhagny - 11/15/2018 07:04
JAnderson - 11/13/2018 06:34 Need to say what your planter has now for options and what you are trying to do with it. If it’s ground drive and spring down pressure, hyd drives pneumatic down pressure and variable rate prescriptions will be the best bang for your buck.
Skip the air bag downforce and go directly to hydraulic!
I really don’t think hyd downforce pays here. I’ve seen stands by several planters that have it and it’s not any better then my pneumatic planter. The guy running the planter has a bigger factor imo. But lots of guys never get out and dig in the seed trench

Tilled or NT?

I agree that adjustments will make or break planter performance.  All the goodies in the world can be undermined by inattention or misunderstanding of what needs to happen.

We are strip till. The planters I’ve looked at with the PP goodies are in a conventional till situation. The first year the one planter had hyd DP the pinch rows where messed up, corn was 12” shorter and way behind the whole year. I bet those 2 rows had a 20-40bu yield drag. I think pretty much all their acres where planted like that as well. The other planter you can still see where the tracks run but they are dragging a train through the field, 450 quad, DB60 and tow behind 3430 cart on tracks with a mounted 1000 gallon liquid tank.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)