AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Backgrounding/Calf starter ration questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Whats Up
Posted 11/16/2018 08:40 (#7108864 - in reply to #7108314)
Subject: RE: Backgrounding/Calf starter ration questions

I agree that is expensive feed, most of the time any kind of mixture as posted above from a feed mill is very expensive. Every area has different types of feed choices that are either grown or processed, and do to shipping, the cost varies so you have to look at what is cheapest in your area. Raising my own feed is the cheapest for me, I have some poor soils with drier climate that just does not support row crops, so I try to rotate with alfalfa, rye, millet, oats (shorter season crops that can still raise a crop with little to no July/August moisture. Then I also have some good soils (still drier climate but the better dirt will support row crops) which I raise corn for silage and grain. Certain years if my alfalfa crop is short do to lack of moisture I will haul in modified distillers but for me the freight makes that a more expensive protein. The dry distillers is cheaper for me to freight but I haven't figured out an affordable way to store it while also making it user friendly to load into mixer. Now for people in the I states with an ethanol plant located every 25 miles, the modified distillers is a very cheap protein and with their climate receiving more moisture I believe alfalfa is more of a challenge to make quality feed. So in those areas they choose modified distillers. Every area of the country is different so you have to find what works best for you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)