AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ancestry or 23 and me
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

raider2b
Posted 11/15/2018 07:20 (#7106703 - in reply to #7106254)
Subject: RE: ancestry or 23 and me

North Dakota
There are reasons to use either or both. The privacy statement from both say they keep your DNA profile private and will not release any personally identifiable information anyone. Read their privacy statements and understand what info they share before you use either one. One thing you need to realize is, your DNA is you. You are the only person in the world with that exact DNA and you can be identified by that list of numbers and letters. Will you be comfortable with the possibility that your information could be shared on the internet someday?

Ancestry does not test DNA for any genetic links to disease but you can find places on the internet to upload your profile to have it analyzed for any links. Some of those websites only use ancestry profiles and some only use 23 and me. A couple will use either. The problem I see with those websites is they do not guarantee they will not share your info with anyone. Ancestry has a larger database to connect to any relatives but it is owned by the Mormons so if you have a particular bias against them, that could be a reason not to use Ancestry.

We used Ancestry about 6 months ago and they had links to several relatives of both my wife and me that we knew about with the correct relationship. I downloaded our files and they are about 17 meg in size, around 580,000 lines. My brother and sister used 23 and me so they could have the medical portion of the test. All of us are fine with our testing that we did.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)