AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For Carlson
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/12/2018 15:57 (#7101570 - in reply to #7101453)
Subject: RE: For Carlson

Driftless SW Wisconsin

So far I've been able to sell all of my beef at the local Saturday farmer's market. It is right on US 14 and we get a lot of folks passing through. Satisfied customers from the market lead to sales from the farm or I deliver. As I said I'm licensed to do both fixed and mobile sales. You do need an inspection and license to do this legally. Keep in mind also that so far I've been keeping all of my heifers so I've only had 1/2 of my calf crop to sell up until now.

This Driftless area of Wisconsin is also a unique area. It is the home to Organic Valley coop and has a deep culture of locally produced, high quality, largely organic foods. Our small town even has a cafe that was nominated for a James Beard award! This is usually only for places in Chicago or NYC.

I'm sure I could branch out and sell more but that is a whole lot more work. I'm getting close to my cow carrying capacity and think I'll stay right about this size.  I don't want to get into the hassle and costs of shipping beef.  There are already plenty of places on the internet that will ship you beef.  I also teach high school physics part time and don't have the time to get much bigger than my current size.

We also do have a very good local livestock auction (Bloomington) where I can sell cull cows or a few steers, bred heifers, etc if the need arises.

I don't sell anything but frozen beef. There are others at our farmers market, including Amish and Hmong, that sell about anything else that can be locally grown (in season) or made. I buy most of my veggies, maple syrup, baked goods, etc from them during the season. I don't want or need to sell anything else.  Having a farm store is really a whole different full time business. We have orchards that do that but it's not for me.

Edited by Jim 11/12/2018 16:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)