AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Krause disc parts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

DRester
Posted 10/28/2018 13:58 (#7070153 - in reply to #7070092)
Subject: RE: Krause disc parts?

Franklinton, LA
I am going to suggest taking a wire brush and cleaning the threads on the gang bolt nuts and the bolts connecting the bearings to the supports. Blowing out the ?? in the slotted hex nuts with compressed air would also be helpful. Step #2 would be to spray the nuts with a penetrating oil and let it sit for a few hours.

I would lower the disk, remove the scrapers and scraper bars and try to loosen the gang bolt nuts with a good 3/4" impact wrench. Plan "B" would be a wrench with a long cheater pipe. You may need a pipe wrench to keep the gangs from rotating. After loosening the gang bolt nuts I would remove the bolts from the bearing supports and raise the disk. Hopefully you can then roll the gangs from under the disk and start spending some money.

You could go to Plan "C" if you don't have any large wrenches. If you are good with a torch you can cut a gang bolt wrench from a 1/2 or 5/8" thick steel bar. You will need a wrench about 24" long and a big hammer to beat on the wrench handle. This works pretty well if the gang tries to rotate while breaking the nuts loose. The vibrating action from the hammer blows will also help tighten gang bolts. Note, this works even better if you are frustrated while beating on the wrench handle with a big hammer.

Edited by DRester 10/28/2018 14:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)