AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

South African workers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

clevepreach
Posted 10/26/2018 15:10 (#7066801 - in reply to #7066294)
Subject: RE: South African workers

Cleveland, MS. Own small farm near Booneville, MS

A couple of farmers around here that I know are using South African labor. Overall, I think they have had a positive experience. There is still somewhat of a language barrier in that these fellows speak English, but it's not their native language. As a result their accent sometimes makes them hard to understand, especially when talking on the phone. When speaking to each other they usually revert to Afrikaners (or whatever it's called). Most are descendants of the Boers who settled in South Africa back in the 1700 and 1800s (not sure of exact dates). Thus, their native language is somewhat similar to Dutch. The few that I have actually seen are intelligent, hard working guys. Most importantly, they seem to be "trainable." I don't know the agency the farmers use to hire them, but I could probably find out.

By the way, according to the ones I have talked to, South Africa, as a nation, is in a mess right now. The blacks have taken over and are trying to drive everyone else out of the country - dead or alive.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)