AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tomorrow is the day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

patt0463
Posted 10/22/2018 10:22 (#7059304 - in reply to #7058545)
Subject: I’m still pretty young

NE Oregon
But all the horror stories about farms being lost due to estate planning has my family trying to be very careful. My mother’s parents have all the contiguous farmland and a dry land homestead that is only grazed staying with my uncle, who farms it all. A different, smaller piece is supposed to go to my mom, and another smaller (but more valuable) piece of ground goes to my other uncle. But they didn’t want hard feelings about somebody getting more and have other cash assets to be split between my mom and other uncle who aren’t inheriting much land. My parents bought (at a diacounted rate) the land my dads parents owned, so only cash assets will be split up at that time. My parents have declared that whoever is farming/ranching (currently just me, but that could change) gets the farm. They do not want the ranch to get split up and fall apart, so they are thinking of how to even everything out as much as possible through other assets. And like my mom has said many times “the ultimate goal is that when this is all said and done, everybody is still talking to each other”. I only share because it feels like this is a good track, and I am saddened when I hear about families being broken up over this kind of stuff...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)