AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Officiating! Nebraska Northwestern.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

prairiedogger
Posted 10/14/2018 10:50 (#7046058 - in reply to #7044491)
Subject: RE: Officiating! Nebraska Northwestern.

Nebraska

Some days I miss the Big 12 but the move to the B1G was better across the board for the rest of the Nebraska athletic teams (namely my personal favorite Wrestling).

As they say, you don't know what you have until it's gone.  We, Husker Nation, were spoiled rotten having Devaney and Osborne for as long as we did.  It's not wrong or poisonous to have a high expectation for your team if the potential is there to begin with.  Devaney and Osborne were absolute geniuses in getting their players to fight for the guy next to them rather than look out for their best interests each play.  As a coach you always want to bring the best out of your players but that's something that takes time and there isn't a single person, Scott Frost included, who can tell you exactly how long it will take when you're taking over players you didn't recruit to get them to their best.

There is a recurring theme in the "close losses" for Nebraska this year and it is this:  The players on the field are rattled and lack the confidence to achieve victory.  They don't believe in themselves to correct mistakes, big or small, in order to keep the team on the path to victory when they're on the field.  The final drive of Northwestern in regulation was a prime example of that.  The defense got annihilated because they didn't know how to make corrections to keep the other team's receivers in check and out of the endzone.  Yes the coaching staff should have probably called a timeout and regrouped them before things got way out of hand but they players still have to make the plays and if you don't believe you and your teammates have the skill to execute and you don't believe in your gameplan/strategy, you can't rely on luck, miscues by the other team, referees, or anyone else to secure victory for you.

Coach Frost's biggest first challenge is assembly a group of players that will work together as a cohesive unit and trust each other to each do their job when they're on the field.  Until that happens their chances of getting their butts kicked is always going to be higher than the chance of victory is.  He knows this and he WILL fix it but it's apparent he has a group of players that this concept hasn't been grasped and embraced.  And it may not happen with this group at all.  It may take 3-4 years of recruiting players with the character traits and other intangibles that understand this to get the winning result.  All I know is I'm willing to throw my weight behind Coach Frost to see this through because he gets it.  Go Big Red.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)