AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At least I am getting free storage on my beans...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 10/5/2018 11:05 (#7027229 - in reply to #7026994)
Subject: RE: At least I am getting free storage on my beans...

East central Iowa

Many years ago we had an early snow and it set on the beans for a couple of days.  When it melted and the sun came out the pods opened and I had beans all over the ground. 

You and every farmer this fall have my sympathy.  I've had wet years where we pulled on little wagon out of the field with a big tractor and then another and hooked them together in the yard for the trip to town because we couldn't pull them in the mud.  We've combined in water with cables so we could pull the combine out when it got stuck.  I've had beans that wouldn't dry beyond 17% and the elevator wouldn't take them so they went into the drying bin and then had to be transferred to another bin.  We've had N cytoplasm corn that paid for the custom combining but nothing else. 

Lot's of bad years.  There was always the farm magazines that said the future was bright.  Tomorrow prices would get better because people had more money and there were more people.  Tomorrow.  

Maybe next year will be better.  I hope so for you guys still farming.  I know I'm pretty tired of people calling farmers stupid because they keep growing too much.  They don't get it's a business and there are expenses whether you grow something or not.  If you don't there's no offsetting income, if you do and there's a loss it's less and hopefully temporary.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)