AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone else read this on crop talk?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 9/27/2018 09:03 (#7011897 - in reply to #7011735)
Subject: RE: Anyone else read this on crop talk?

Well first off I can't believe the amount of people that want to shoot first. I guess when their pet wanders someone's field you should just shoot it I guess. If combine crosses over the boundary line shoot it I guess. Whole problem is people need to keep their own fences around property. I don't know how many times I've read on her about farmers crossing over and farming other crops. Put a blasted fence up, then if fence gets tore out from equipment go after them, same being said about cows going though a good lawful fence!

Little hint here folks when land was homesteaded from government it was stated the owner was to fence it OUT of the government's ground. I realize a lot of lands in the eastern half of the U.S. was patented a long time ago. But out west here lot of lands was patented in late 1800's. However as time has went on, farms have changed hands numerous times. Most fences on all crop have been kept up if livestock around. A lot depends on your state fence laws, here it is a fence out state. I get sick and tired of CRP farmers keep getting their government checks, but fail to keep the first agreement to keep their fences up. You would really think that after 30 years of CRP payments they could have bought some barb wire and brought home in that new F-150.

I had a phone call with a dry farmer last month, he called bitching about cows getting into his fields as he was cutting grain. First off these wasn't my cows, I was in a field next to him on the other side. I'm in a grazing association that surrounds him with federal lands. The fence is his responsibility, as well is his gates. Well this guy thinks he needs 80' gate openings, he uses federal lands to access his fields as the roads go through them which is his right to do so, and I support his right. However it's not his right to mow 100' cutting through government lands to bypass current roads for short cuts, him doing this in critical Sage Grouse habitat that we are embroiled with environmentalists.

When this guy called me complaining about cows coming though gate opening while combining. I asked you have a wire gate, he replied yes, so is it tight? Well no he said. Well it didn't help you ran grain out of unload auger on our side of fence thinking it would keep cows on other side of fence or your thinking it would kill cows so we would move them just so you didn't have to put a gate up or take your header off to change fields I told him. So I offered to get a guy there with panels to replace the gate while he was combining, so we set panels up for him. Well they didn't want to close panels, so cows got back in. Really? After we explained you need to shut gates it will work. Cows weren't coming through fence just the gate. But yes over the years this man has tore his own fence out with equipment, knocked his own gates down. Spilled chemicals on federal grounds, illegal mowing of federal lands, purposely spill grain on federal lands to kill cows.

Good fences make even better neighbors. We just don't have many problems in this area, we all try to keep fences up. We have even told our range rider if any problem cows they are to be painted, roped, removed from range if they are repeat offenders. We will not put with the cattle or the owner. I've personally seen a few cattle "Yoked" with a cedar post to keep them from crawling though a fence, cow gets a lesson as well as the owner. I see the broad spectrum of land owners, we have some great dry farmers here that put up great fences, they spray fence lines, etc. We also try and help those land owners with materials and some labor, we aren't required to do so, but is the thing to do. It's called respect, we respect each others property. Problem is some people have never learned that.

Cows are going to get out, equipment is going to wipe fence out, wildlife is going to tear fence out, hunters are going to tear fence out. We all got to get along. In fact got a call last Sunday night 300 cows out on I-84, not ours 6 miles way from us. But we went out, hunters decided it was easier to put some plank over fence and drive back onto freeway instead of driving three 2 1/2 miles to exit to get back on freeway. Got to love those people, because if someone would have caught them I don't know what would have happened.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)