AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Engineering career?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

DieselDennis
Posted 8/31/2018 21:26 (#6962456 - in reply to #6962015)
Subject: RE: Engineering career?

Brandon, MS
Been an Mech Engr for the past 14 years. Recently moved into full time management this year.

At your age in your situation, I would focus solely on what kind of engineering technology degree I could pick up in 2-3 years of school. The diploma is nothing but a way in to a job, doesn't guarantee anything. Seek out a job that spends a lot of time on the floor. You'll be more comfortable there initially and hopefully you'll gain a reputation for coming up with solutions and making things happen.

Forget about a P.E. certification. As an earlier poster said, if you want to go ahead and take the fundamental exam while you're fresh out of school, doesn't hurt anything. PEs aren't usually needed for a factory/industry position. And if they're needed, they can usually be subcontracted to.

I agree to get some electrical / computer knowledge if you can. I had two classes and a lab in the electrical department while I was in school. I wish I knew more about CANBUS systems, PWM valves, and programming than I do now. Hard to find a mechanical solution to something that's purely electro-hydraulically controlled.

And please don't think engineers are "all that". They couldn't get anything done without the machinists, electricians, pipe fitters, etc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)