AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Engineering career?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

17821x
Posted 8/31/2018 20:44 (#6962360 - in reply to #6962015)
Subject: RE: Engineering career?

NE Iowa
Been a mechanical engineer for a major manufacturer for 21 years now. Started right out of college at age 22 and been in new product design ever since. Great pay, job security, and a fair amount of flexibility. Luckily my employer is 6 miles from my farm. I can start work at 6:00am or not until 9:00am. If kids are sick I can work from home. Sometimes in the summer I take a "long lunch" and run to the farm and ted a field of hay or something. Can take my vacation on zero notice a half day at a time. I go in at 6:00 and leave at 10:00 on a half day and bale hay all afternoon some days. Getting through engineering school is tough and I'm not going to sugar coat that. There are degrees like mechanical engineering technology that require less math and make it a little easier. PE is not necessary unless you have your own consulting firm or work as a civil engineer. Farmers are definitely sought after for mechanical engineers. Starting pay for new college grad is around $68,000 at my company. Its not for everyone but is a good field.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)