AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa drainage laws and road question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

STO
Posted 8/13/2018 22:41 (#6928612)
Subject: Iowa drainage laws and road question

I was informed today by the mayor of the small town where I live and own some property in that they are planning on building up a gravel road that borders my property. This road has never had any real ditches on either side so drainage has always been a problem. On the west side of this road I have a metal building I use for storage. Presently the bottom of the doors to this building sit about 18-20" above the road. The problem I have with their plans are that besides building the road up a foot or more, they also want to slope the road to the west, so all of the water drains to my side. On the east side of this road there is a pretty large area (several acres or more) that all drains (it's pretty steep) towards the road, so all of this water is going to end up on my side of the road. I am afraid with the combination of the increased height of the road bed and all of the extra water coming my way, it is going to flood my building anytime we get a heavy rain.

Another thing is none of the property owners were invited to a city council meeting to discuss and just today we were told it was going to happen later this week without any input from the affected owners.

I guess my question is this. Can they legally alter this road and force me to take all of this water? What are my options to stop them. Would the Iowa drainage laws apply in this case?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)