AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need Advice-Beginner Starting cow / calf operation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Roughrider Farms
Posted 8/2/2018 23:17 (#6908276)
Subject: Need Advice-Beginner Starting cow / calf operation

SC MN
Been wondering if getting into cattle is the right thing for my operation from a diversity/soil health/profit standpoint. I have no experience with cattle...

I've got access to an unused freestall barn that was used to house about 90 dairy cows, equipped with feed conveyors that are linked to a few silos. Had a nice tmr but that's sold. Owners know how to do AI breeding so they could help with that and maybe calving.
No real hay equipment to speak of unless you call an old sickle mower and square baler sufficient. Plenty of road ditch hay available to bale if needed.

I'd really like to graze them on my cover crops after wheat harvest and on the corn stalks in the fall but wondering what I would do with them the rest of the year since I don't have any pasture.

Basically what I'm wondering is:

1. Should I get into cattle

2. How should i do it with my current situation

3. I hear that some guys let them graze outside even into the winter, how does that work during our Southern Minnesota winters??

4. Should I take some land out of corn/bean production for a pasture to graze until the cover crops are ready??

5. Could this be a profitable venture if I slowly built up my own herd to say 20-40 head??

6. What should they eat , straight corn from the bin or just hay??

TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)