AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New business venture growing silage: questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Brian sepa
Posted 4/22/2009 05:27 (#689185 - in reply to #688677)
Subject: RE: New business venture growing silage: questions.

Lancaster County, Pa.

You need to consider the extra cost of storage if your going to bag it then sell it. 

First you have the cost of the bagging.

Then the cost of the shrink (they often talk about shrink being 5-15%.  As long as your moisure is right you should be at the lower end of that range in a bag.  Even at 5% loss that means for every 100 ton you store you'll be selling 95.

Then you have the issue of hauling out.  Hauling is way more efficient out of the field all at once than moving a load here and a load there.  That eats up a lot of time. 

I also agree with posters above saying that (most) dairies like to plan ahead.  Also, they like large lots of one kind of feed.  By one kind of feed I don't just mean (in this case) sorghum silage, but sorghum silage that is similar in test and even moisture.

All that being said, in our area we have a lot of small dairies and it's not unusaul for there to be a small premium market for silage in late summer when guys are running out of old silage and don't have new silage yet.

Several years ago I was down in your area with a custom harvest crew.  We were over in Vernon, I don't believe thats real far from you is it?  From what I remember, its hard for me to imagine that being a dairy area?

Hope you can work something out.

Edited by Brian sepa 4/22/2009 05:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)