AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Train Blocks Rural Road
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

showboat
Posted 6/16/2018 08:05 (#6815531)
Subject: Train Blocks Rural Road

Is there a rule/law regarding how long a train may be parked on a siding......which happens to block car/truck passage on a crossing on a rural township road?

This situation doesn't affect me personally TOO terribly badly, but have noticed that a train of grain hoppers is sitting on a siding near me.....and across a township road for at least two days now. I might have crossed there maybe 4 times yesterday, but also have other alternatives.

Railroad put new sidings in several locations locally about twenty years ago, and lengthy parking on THIS one in particular has been an ongoing issue.

It used to be of more concern a few years ago, when one of my neighbors lived on ONE side of the crossing, while his "90 something" widowed mother lived on the other side. Had an emergency ensued, neighbor or ambulance would have had to travel alternative routes to bring aid to his mother....but that situation has resolved.

For some reason, I'm thinking that there is a time limit maximum for a train to block a crossing, but perhaps that's within a municipality. The situation I'm discussing is a rural location. Seems to me that if the railroad is planning on parking a train at length, it wouldn't be a TERRIBLE burden to break the train at the crossing and provide a 50' passageway across the crossing...…

But the railroads were here FIRST, and seem to operate under different rules than the rest of us. showboat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)