AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm Consolidation. Trends and endpoints.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Omar
Posted 4/14/2009 18:42 (#680371 - in reply to #680113)
Subject: Re: Farm Consolidation. Trends and endpoints.

Elmira, Ontario
rebuilder - 4/14/2009 13:42

There are a few operations around here where you see the planter roll in then the combine, with those even run by the hired hands.

What you call a hired hand, I call a skilled operator. Maybe someone who doesn't have the overall skillset or desire to run his own farm, but dearly loves dirt and machinery. If there had been more farms like that around when I was younger, I might have stayed tied to a farm somewhere. As it is, I jumped to a dealer and didn't look back. I've had a number of positions and learned the business from several sides. I'm currently at a larger dealer that has opportunity for a bunch of us to take leadership roles and participate in the decision making. I enjoy it.

My point is that a larger corporate farm can employ a bunch of people according to their skills and interests. If you are handy in a shop, you'll get that work. You won't be stuck in a barn somewhere hating every minute. If you like the cropping side, you can do the scouting etc. Maybe you've shown a knack for scheduling and trucking. You've got that chance.

If I were working in that type of operation with dozens of employees, I'd absolutely want my employer to be managing the business, not out there running the machinery. That would be my job, not his. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)