AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lumber prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Dmpaul89
Posted 6/9/2018 14:55 (#6802730 - in reply to #6802327)
Subject: RE: Lumber prices

Sw. Ill
davpal - 6/9/2018 09:39

Renewable for what? Pulp wood? Most of the trees they cut now are 100 plus years old. If you're planting it now it's going to be good about a century from now. The first cutting on a forest are the gravy ones. Then they replant it and call it a renewable resource. I used to deer hunt in upper michigan in an old growth forest that had 100 ft tall pines that were 3 ft in diameter. They clear cut and burned it for a Warbler sanctuary. 30 years ago and replanted little pines. Now there are thousands of pines that are 10 inches in diameter that will make a couple of 2x4's or pulpwood if you chip them up. So yes the first cutting was pretty lucrative. The next ones are going to be garbage. It's all part of the I want it now philosophy. In the 50's my parents generation lived in houses that were less than 1000 square ft and there were only about a billion people in the world. Now we have 7 billion people and more and more princes and princesses that want to live in 5000 square ft mini mansions for what reason I don't know.

We visited the upper pen. Last year i was shocked at the logging, seemed like half the penninsula had been just clear cut. Didnt expect that, was expecting a vast remote forest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)