AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building a pond question-Olivetroad inspired me!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

olivetroad
Posted 6/9/2018 08:02 (#6802182 - in reply to #6801224)
Subject: RE: Building a pond question-Olivetroad inspired me!

Kingdom of Callaway - Fulton, Mo 65251

Good morning Regan!

My opinion of you has decreased based on you being inspired by anything I am trying! Watch your step!

I would remove all the trees AND stumps before I did anything else. I would clean out both draws of the trees, and then decide what to do. Without putting eyes on it, It might be a deal where you can use a scraper and take the topsoil from one draw and fill up the other one to where you can put a terrace/tile inlet up at the top of the draw to cut off the head water enough where you can farm the new flatter area below it?  Or at least grass it.  Then build your pond in the other draw?  

I agree with the others that ponds are about my last choice for livestock water if they drink straight out of them.  But we fence them off, and install a concrete freeze proof waterer below it.  That keeps the pond clean enough that we stock them with fish and the kiddos swim in them.  Use a steep slope for the pond bottom around the final water line of the pond to keep cattails and other water plants from growing (and hiding snakes).

Looks like a great land improvement project.  You don't have to finish it next week - slow and steady wins the race. Clear the trees this year, and then think about it a bit........

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)