AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Movie "1984"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 6/8/2018 12:34 (#6800924)
Subject: Movie "1984"

southern MN
The movie 1984 is on Comet TV right now. I'm sleeping through it. Again. We had an inch to 4 inches of rain around here this morning, so a slow day.

I think they made the movie so very slow and stilted and drab to try to get the totalitarian effect, that it is difficult to follow or care about the pace or characters of the movie.

We had to read the book way back in high school, this was before it was 1984 for me. I enjoyed the book. It had much more detail and background and hue. It must be easier to describe a futile, drab future than to show it visually.

I recall our high school teacher got confused, and he was testing us on what he thought the future would be, in his view. Several times, a few of us spoke up and said no, you can't mark this wrong, you asked for an opinion about the future, just because our view of the future doesn't match yours, you can't mark it wrong. It's an English class, need to mark for creativity, or spelling, or content, or essay, or what have you, but ask for opinion on what the future might be, and we can't get that opinion 'wrong.' When a test question is, 'In the future will there be A or B available?' As long as you put one of the 2 letters down, you cannot be wrong - it is the future, that is an opinion question, not a fact.

At the time, we were concerned with our grades.

Looking back now, it strikes me, the teacher was trying to control our thoughts of the future, by asking for our opinions to match his of a book from the past, and doing his own doublespeak in the arc of past, current, and future opinions. Trying to push us into his vision.

That's kinda funny.

I'll go back to my nap......

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)