AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The countries newest recreational area...county highways
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

PeteMN
Posted 5/28/2018 12:19 (#6782671 - in reply to #6782416)
Subject: RE: pedestrians in crosswalks?

E.Central MN
In many states vehicles are supposed to stop for pedestrians crossing in a crosswalk. Its just not talked about or enforced as much out in the country as it is in the city. There is less traffic on roads in rural areas so waiting for an opening in traffic to safely walk across the road isn't an issue like it can be in the city. Very few marked crosswalks either. With rural traffic often going 60mph vs the 30 mph in town, its very risky to step out in front of vehicles, much safer to just wait til vehicles go past and then cross the road.
Many towns in our state are being lobbied by bike enthusiasts who for example pushed for paving old railroad corridors as bike trails, a very substantial public investment. Despite that we still have bikers riding on county roads that don't have a paved shoulder. A few wear reflective vests, some have a small blinky light on back. I think if the state wants to promote bike riding then they should make it mandatory for adult bike riders to wear reflective gear AND have bright led lights if they are going to ride on the highway especially under low light conditions. For $20 they could get one of those magnetic flashing lights like we put on a gravity box. I hate it when I come up on a bike rider who suddenly appears out of the darkness riding on the inside of the driving lane in dark clothes and no taillight. If they refuse to exercise some common sense then the law should make them do it if they want to ride on public roads.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)