AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Differences between 1560 and 1590 drills
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cowhater
Posted 4/12/2009 13:09 (#677804 - in reply to #677648)
Subject: RE: Differences between 1560 and 1590 drills

DE
the 1560 can be converted to the 1590 one piece seed boot, I've done it to mine bolts right on. The 60 and 90 have same opener. Will also have to purchase new metal seed tubes that go into seed boot when doing the conversion. The 1590 may or may not have the newer and skinnier JD 3/4" x 9" firming wheel instead of the 1x10 on the 1560, unless someone has already changed them on the 1560. Many people feel that the newer JD wheel still is not narrow enough. They opt for the sdx or Needham wheel. The 1560 also does not have any grease fitting on the firming wheel or closing wheel arm pivot points. The 750's had them but when Deere came out with the 60 the biggest selling point was "We put 72 grease zerks out of business!!" Now they have gone back to the grease zerks on the 90, go figure. I bought a 10 year old 1560, used it for three years, and then converted to the newer boots. The pivot points on the arms had very little wear considering they run dry. But I went ahead and put in new bushings and drilled holes in the arms and put in self tapping grease zerks. I grease at the beginning of the season and that's it. I figure if they wore that little in 13 yrs dry, then should last darn near forever with grease. I think the 90 has a trash guard that keeps corn stalks from inadvertently hitting the depth control handle and moving it to a different slot. The 60 can also be fitted with these guards. I've done very little planting into corn stalks but never had that problem. To sum up the main difference, Deere put on a modified seed boot and turned the "6" in the 1560 upside down to make it a "9".

Just remembered something else. Deere came out with their own flat fold markers on the 90. I've got Yetter flat fold on my 60.

Edited by cowhater 4/12/2009 13:11
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)