AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Diesel pickup motor oil/filter questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mitchco
Posted 5/15/2018 19:43 (#6762175 - in reply to #6761835)
Subject: RE: Diesel pickup motor oil/filter questions.

SW OH
I would never use a Fram filter myself. Eons ago we had a NAPA in town. They had a Fram and a NAPA filter cut open on display. The Fram had an asparagus box glued to the end of the media as an end cap. Made the NAPA look good. Fast forward to today and I won't use a NAPA filter because their theory is "if the threads and the gasket are the same, it's a good cross". Engine oil filters are not as critical as hydraulic fillers. NAPA hydraulic filters cost the company I work for $80,000 in 2 Volvo trucks.

I do trust Fleetguard and Donaldson filters because they make most of the OEM filters for agricultural and industrial equipment. A few of our sister companies use Baldwin. I'm not a fan of Baldwin because i have seen some issues with them.

As far as oil goes used to be a big fan of shell and rotella oils. I have been through a few meetings with oil representatives and they have changed my mind. We are extending our intervals and SOPUS has told us DO NOT EXCEED 500 HOURS. Castrol claims we can go 1,000 hours.worth their oil. I think we are going to go with CAT oil as they claim we can go to 750 hours. Their price is also $1 cheaper a gallon than SOPUS. We bought 60,000 gallons of oil last year, 17,000 of that was 15W40 T3, so that's a lot of money.

Mitchco
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)