AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

643 John Deere corn head
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dvswia
Posted 3/18/2018 08:28 (#6648732 - in reply to #6648172)
Subject: RE: 643 John Deere corn head

sw corner ia.
von.. corn usually averages 180+, head drive gears are running 1-1. I run the backshaft at around 600 rpm. ground speed between 3.5 to 4.3. any faster and my wife (who is the trucker) will refuse kitchen functions. this is not what anyone could call abusive treatment to the head. I do have clarke machine knife conversions, which are wonderful. btw.. this head was built in 1980.. think about that.

I have replaced I think 5 rows of these so far and one was done twice, which was the new pressed together gear that failed. it looked like the two gears just decided to part company on happy terms. I think I could have welded them back together and would have if I hadn't had a couple of these on the shelf.

these gears should be cut out of a billet, can't get anyone interested in doing it so there you go.

I will say this is really not much more than an inconvenience because they are not hard to change at all and this head has all it's original bearings which still are tight. I have no need of a wildly more expensive head to get my corn in the bin.

Edited by dvswia 3/18/2018 08:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)