AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Metal lathe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bret (OH)
Posted 3/5/2018 07:28 (#6621027 - in reply to #6617856)
Subject: RE: Metal lathe

Blanchester, OH
Another thing to consider on most if not all of those small import lathes is that to produce different thread pitches you must physically change out the gears behind the cover on the drive end of the headstock along with setting the transmission to the proper speeds and feeds. That's a major hassle!
I have a Royal 1360 (made in Taiwan) that is a really nice lathe, but I avoid threading because of the hassle of changing gearsets. Most of my threading work is snuck in to work to thread on my LeBlond Makino 18" Regal. For most thread pitches just a setting of the operator control levers gets you almost any thread you could need.
For smaller threaded production parts, they would be produced on my Hardinge HC with a CNC Accuslide toolplate that uses a Fagor control, but that would only be used for multiple piece jobs.
Most of the better older industrial lathes mentioned in this thread will give you that feature, and for me worth considering, especially if it was my only lathe.
Another point already mentioned here in this thread is a spindle bore large enough to do the work you will want from the lathe. I would not even consider a lathe, especially for farm shop work, that could not pass a 2" plus workpiece.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)