AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil fertility question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 3/25/2009 20:52 (#656587 - in reply to #656554)
Subject: Re: Soil fertility question

Coldwater, Michigan
Patrick,

There is an "ideal" soil, then there is what you have. Don't know where you are located, but the test that you are showing is not that far out of whack. Ideally the calcium should be 65-70% BS, the magnesium somewhere around 10-15%, Potash at 2-5%. Now that is considered Ideal. If you needed lime (your buffer pH would indicate, you don't), I probably would use high Calcium lime to balance the elements a bit more. That might cause the soils to be a little bit nicer to work with, because of the lower Mag, higher Calcium ratios. Don't know that you can afford to do it for it's niceness, but if you were liming anyway, and there wasn't too much difference in price, you might be able to justify it.

If with today's numbers you were to lime, the high calcium lime would cause 3 things to happen with the numbers: Calcium would go up, Mag would go down, and the potash BS would go down. As it sits, the BS for potash on this CEC isn't bad, but I wouldn't want to see it any lower. If you were to lime as above, that number would go down. I think you are sitting on the edge with you potash now, if you drive it down, then additional potash would be warranted.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)