AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help with Pontiac Grand Am engine problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

PatCMO
Posted 2/3/2018 17:17 (#6552141 - in reply to #6552102)
Subject: RE: Help with Pontiac Grand Am engine problem

Pilot Grove, Missouri
Intake gaskets are notorious for leaking on the 3.4 L. There is a bleeder screw on the right front of the engine on a coolant pipe. This screw needs to be opened when filling with coolant to bleed the air out. If the cooling system is not bled when filling, the engine will overheat and very likely blow have a head gasket start leaking. Close the screw before starting the engine though as the water pump will suck air in if open while running. The dex-cool coolant will turn to a kinda oily sludge if the cooling system is run low. If you get the leak fixed I would reccomend flushing the cooling system and going back with Green coolant. I have much less problems with coolant leaks with green anti-freeze vs. Dex-Cool. Fel-Pro makes a better version of the intake gaskets that is a steel carrier with rubber to seal around the ports instead of the factory plastic gaskets. I have had replacement plastic gaskets fail in less than 30,000 miles. I have never replaced a set that had the steel gaskets. Patrick
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)