AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question on JD 55 combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

99MAX
Posted 1/29/2018 19:59 (#6540781 - in reply to #6540707)
Subject: RE: A little background

Stearns County, Minnesota

idaho dry farmer - 1/29/2018 18:32 I bought the combine I ran in high school that belonged to a neighbor who owned it for 30 years, just trying to find cornhead options being that it came from grain country and I would like to dink around in some corn in the fall Thanks guys IDF

My first question is, what row width are you using, when you plant your corn?

2nd question, has the combine even been run in corn, or just small grain?  To combine corn, you need a different cylinder speed, than you do for small grain.  Also, you need filler plates in the cylinders, which were not generally put into combines sold in grain country in the 60's.  Also, if you know what year the combine is, it will help determine what you will need to get it set up for corn.  The feeder house on the 55's, 95's, and l05's  were not made for quick tach heads.  You can either find an older head, where the feeder house on the corn head is made to attach to the combine, right in front of the threshing cylinder.  The last year of this series of combines, they made a quick tach feeder house, so you could use the later 40 series corn heads.  The earlier corn heads before the quick tach, the corn head had to be made for the 55, and not for the 95 or 105.  The later quick tach solved this problem, but you would have had to have bought it the last year the 55 combines were made, or you would have to find one at a salvage yard, that had a quick tach feeder house from a 55.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)