AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Upgrading A Fertilizer Spreader to Hydraulic Drive
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 1/16/2018 06:40 (#6508769 - in reply to #6508442)
Subject: RE: Upgrading A Fertilizer Spreader to Hydraulic Drive

South Georgia
I haven't done exactly that, but I have converted a planter to hydraulic drive.

You need an appropriately sized hydraulic motor, whether or not you use a gearbox. You could direct drive it with a big motor, or use chain and sprockets to gear it down and use a smaller motor. I'm sure folks here with experience can help size that. Then you need a valve to control the hydraulic oil flow.

https://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200339021_200...

They also have a 0-20 gpm and a 0-10 gpm valve of that's what you needed.

The electronic part you can do a few different ways. You should figure out what you need to use the displays you have directly, but the simplest, cheapest, most straightforward thing to do (in my opinion, and what I did when I bought a floater with no controller or wiring harness) is but a MicroTrak GSC1000 kit from Phil Jensen. Comes with the controller, wiring harness, rate encoder, etc., complete kit, for probably less than you'd have in cables for your other options. Order the controller with PWM output for the bed chain, and Raven protocol, and you should be able to use serial rate control from your existing monitors using a simple serial cable. (I'm using a Trimble display, you should verify that your could do that with your displays.)

This is NOT the fanciest way to do it, but it certainly works well. The only trouble I've had with this setup is that the sensor that MicroTrak uses for the rate sensor is aluminum, and fertilizer eats it up once a year. But I can buy them pretty cheaply from Mouser.com, and I have a spare ready to go on. No problem.

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)