AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fungicides on corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GlenravenFarms
Posted 11/23/2006 13:55 (#64879 - in reply to #64870)
Subject: Re: Fungicides on corn

Genoa City, WI
The iffy results have been in the 'plant health benefits' of Headline in the absence of rust pressure. In some fields, the timed application of Headline (around R3) makes a yield difference, in others it doesn't seem to matter. I assume that's because in northern areas like we're in, the leaf diseases that Headline prevents aren't always a problem for us. And that BASF's advertised 'other plant health benefits' don't make that big of a difference in beans. For rust, the timing is different, and there's a definite disease you're trying to prevent; Headline and Headline SBR (which is Headline mixed with a triazole), should do just as well as any other strobilurin fungicide.

On the other hand, the 8 bushel result that we did get means something...more trials next year, I suppose.

As far as overusing fungicides...yes and no. Yes in some cases like vegetables and fruits, where they often apply fungicides multiple times throughout the year; usually on a two week cycle. One application of a fungicide during the year like BASF is promoting on field corn isn't going to bring on resistance. The fungicide application is meant to protect the corn during a certain timeframe in its reproductive phase....not to eliminate disease entirely. I still saw plenty of gray leaf spot infection in our Headline fields in mid-late August, but by that time it didn't matter as much to the corn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)