AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Real horsepower of a MX 270
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mattfolkman
Posted 3/17/2009 14:11 (#647460 - in reply to #647302)
Subject: I know it tough to believe, Bern, but

Oakes, ND
Bern,

I know that 99% of the time I don't believe guys that claim the high HP numbers either. However, my tractor was tested by two different dealers on different dynos but different operators. The results were within 5 HP.

You also must know I didn't have the common extrude hone injetors that most guys drop in. I had custom made injectors from F1 Diesel. www.f1diesel.com These were EDM injectors. I talked to the guy making my injectors, and he asked how much HP I wanted to gain. I said 100 HP more. With driveline losses I would say a gain from 235 to 325 is pretty close to 100 engine HP gain.

I was warned by the dealership that did the installation that I would not be happy with the running characteristics of the injectors. The service manager said my idle would be rough, I would have a fair amount of visible smoke, and the computer would throw a bunch of error codes. I asked F1 diesel about this, and they assured me that is what happens with the extrude honed injectors, and not with their EDM injectors.

F1 diesel was right, and the dealer was floored. They couldn't believe the tractor idled like stock, had very little visible smoke, and no error codes. They also couldn't believe the HP gain. They had done a MX270 before mine with the extrude hone injectors, and this is why they made the comments they did. The other MX270 only turned 280 HP at rated speed.

I wish I had taken pictures or videos of the tractor on the dynos, but I didn't. That MX270 now resides in MN. I do not know who or where. I hope they have had better luck with it than I did.

Matt Folkman
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)