AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I can’t wait!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ruraltrav
Posted 12/22/2017 22:46 (#6448011 - in reply to #6446827)
Subject: RE: I can’t wait!

Jim - 12/22/2017 13:13

I tried your CHB locator and neither of the 2 places locally that have "CHB" listed on the menu are on there. Not a complete list.

As far as selling heifers, I've had folks stopping by asking to buy heifers. However after all the time and sweat put into correcting my own early rookie mistakes and developing genetics, I am not at all interested in selling good heifers. This may be why the female sale you mentioned was not successful.

Good Hereford commercial, pasture-oriented (not show) cows are in demand and hard enough to find that there aren't many for sale.  My only female sales are older culls I take to the sale barn slaughter sale. Culled heifers go to the processor with the steers.

Yeah I wonder how they compile that list if they have some kind of criteria or the establishment that is selling/serving CHB has to let them know? Might be worth shooting an email to [email protected] about that

Lately we've been hauling our older culls directly to the packer in Omaha and taking the price on the rail. Granted not everyone is able to do that, we are about 2 hours away and have a contact at the packer which helps. We also run some risk on how they trim down and grade out, we got docked on 1 cow the other year for yellow fat which usually is caused by too much grass and forage so had we had put her on a corn diet for 60-90 days before we sent her we would may not have had that problem. I guess that is just a result of not pampering our cows with a grain ration over the winter here. I get you with the heifers too. We usually take assessment of how many heifers we need to retain to replace culls then offer up the rest for sale with the exception of any poor ones that should not be going into production. Our top heifers we prefer to keep like anyone would with theirs too but as the saying goes "everything is for sale for a price" so we've had times we've let some good ones go. We'll sell some bred females from time to time too if we need to cut some numbers.

It really does depend on the market in a given area. I hear of guys who say Herefords are a tough sell in their area/region and then are amazed at the demand and prices someone else is getting in another area. I think we're probably pretty fortunate to be located where we are because for a small breeder we get a pretty fair amount of calls and visits from guys looking for Hereford bulls and females and have not had a problem finding buyers for our sale cattle. We have to work a little harder to get calls on the bulls than we do with the females but haven't had to send a bull to the sale barn in quite awhile because we couldn't find a buyer. Nearly all our bulls sell to commercial breeders with black cows and many of them are trying a Hereford bull for the first time or trying one again after not having a Hereford in a long time and many of them have come back a year or 2 later wanting another one after liking the black baldy calves they got. There was a time when guys wouldn't even consider a Hereford bull for various reasons but it is great to see the breed making a comeback and being in demand in a lot of places these days.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)