AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Border Collie Dog
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 12/20/2017 16:13 (#6442467 - in reply to #6438741)
Subject: RE: Border Collie Dog

south east Indiana
Getting a pup started right begins way before they enter the gate. Mine learn what I so goes at all times, when they are wrong they are corrected - verbally- when they are right they are encouraged. I ask them to be respective of me and the stock and in turn give them the respect they deserve.
I always start with stock that are suitable for a pup and in a place I can help them do as I ask. Instinct and stock sense is key - you can't put in what is not there. I feel my job as trainer/handler is to help them with whatever is tough for them and encourage what comes naturally.
You can't help her do the right thing at 25 or 50 yds on undog broke stock so you have start small and take small steps forward. They learn to come to me when called and have general manners before going to stock.
I work with instinct get them going around sheep both directions, bringing sheep off fences to me and stopping behind them when asked then we just increase distance and number of stock from there. My pups learn they walk through a gate and wait for me to ask them to go to stock. In the round pen we perfect calling off stock before we go bigger. All can be done with simply positioning of yourself, stock without commands besides a HERE.

You can check out my you tube channel if you want to see different dogs working -( Clearfield stockdogs - working border collies) you need to add everything like it is.
They are simply working/training/chore videos, nothing fancy, nothing edited. but will give you a good idea how I have learned to start stockdogs
Just handed my 10 mo old girl to three different novice handlers in the last couple weeks. Dang if she isn't going to be a good one. I will have to post a couple new videos of her.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)