AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exiss stock trailers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/20/2017 12:56 (#6442179 - in reply to #6442126)
Subject: RE: Exiss stock trailers?

Well I number one reason to go to a aluminum back in the early 90's was for weight. We were using big block gas engines at the time. However in a few years diesels took over. Today these trucks will clearly out pull your load. Biggest problem is stopping them when needed. However I love the aluminum over steel when pulling in the winter months because a lot easier to clean aluminum floors over wood or mats. Plus we don't have to paint them, just acid wash them once a year. So on todays costs you can buy two steel trailers to one aluminum. These truck have no problem pulling steel trailers stock from the factory no need to turn them up. So we really try to park our aluminum trailers when we can, run steel. My big gripe now is these diesels with DEF and CATS are getting poorer mileage than the diesels of the 90's and early 2000's. We are sure looking at going back to gas for some of daily trailer pulling. Problem is all our diesels are ton dual's, they get terrible mileage, still under warranty so we haven't tried to "fix" any of them.

We also salt our floors when hauling in the winter months if we can't clean out right when we unload. That way it won't be froze solid when we get home. The aluminum holds up better to floor salting, still have to clean them though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)