AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thoughts on Grass Fed, Antibiotic and Growth Hormone Free Beef?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

fowllife
Posted 12/19/2017 06:49 (#6438969 - in reply to #6437568)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Grass Fed, Antibiotic and Growth Hormone Free Beef?

NC Ohio
CattleLand - 12/18/2017 16:34

We spent this past weekend in St. Louis for a little weekend getaway. Many of the restaurants are promoting this in their beef (plus chicken and pork). We also walked through a "Country Market" grocery store and most everything was this plus Organic. As a grain and livestock farmer this frustrates me. We feed our feedlot calves our harvested silage corn (sprayed with herbicides and fungicides) and then given antibiotic shots as needed and growth hormone implants to these calves.

It just frustrates me. I don't believe we can feed the growing world by going Organic and such, that's why we do what we do.

Anybody know why farmers are going this route? Do they think these methods cause cancer or something?

IMO grass fed beef tastes nothing like corn fed beef.

I'm open to hearing both sides if somebody thinks otherwise. Like I said, I am curious...

I'm not understanding why you are frustrated with farmers growing and marketing their product who they want to. I have not intention of trying to feed the world with what I grow. My customers don't expect me to try to feed the world, they expect a good quality locally grown product at a reasonable price.

I'm not organic. I raise GMO corn that gets sprayed. I don't implant or use antibiotics, but I do vaccinate. The thing I hear the most is people want to know where their food comes from. They don't want water added during proccessing, and they don't want extra "hormones" If that is what they are looking for and I can provide it then why not do it?

We have the whole BTO talks on here quite a bit, and from my experience consumers have a stronger opinion of large farms for livestock production then for grain. They don't care about seeing a field with 5 combines in it, but they don't want to see a feedlot with 5,000 steers in it. People are willing to spend a small premium to support a smaller family farm for their meat because it is easier for them to control that portion of their food source. Sure, a feed lot can produce beef for a lower price then I can, but I can make more profit per head with a direct sale. To me it's just common sense to sell to that market.

I also believe the "feed the world" has been beat to death a little. We, as in the US & Canada are no longer required to provide as much as we used to. There is enough production from S.A. and some of the other developing countries that we do not hold as large of a market share as we used to. In my opinion trying to "feed the world" only leads to over production and lower prices.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)