AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thoughts on Grass Fed, Antibiotic and Growth Hormone Free Beef?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Blusteryknollfarm
Posted 12/18/2017 20:52 (#6438416 - in reply to #6437568)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Grass Fed, Antibiotic and Growth Hormone Free Beef?

North Central Illinois
I grow organic crops, because there's a segment of the market willing to pay a premium for that, and I can avoid exposure to insecticides and herbicides on my farm. My neighbors are free to do as they please on their farms. I get awful tired of the "feed the world" talk though. My job is to feed my family and participate in creating a community economy that supports flourishing of that community. Producing less of a high value product does that for me.

As for the grass fed thing, there's something want to note. I know this isn't beef, but close enough for comparison. I grass finish most of my lambs (perennial forages are a valuable part of a successful organic crop rotation), so that works out well. My main buyer is an ethnic slaughterhouse that doesn't care. Grass finishing them is just the most economical choice for me anyhow. I gave a pack of lamb chops to a neighbor, the last time he talked to me, he said they were some of the best he had eaten in a long time. It takes specific management choices to make a quality grass finished product. It's more than just turn them out where there's grass and let nature take it's course. You can't finish an animal on stockpiled fescue.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)