AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Network question for experts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

YawLes
Posted 12/10/2017 17:27 (#6419736 - in reply to #6418674)
Subject: Ground fault differential

I have chased plenty of "ghosts" on networks - they come and go without rhyme nor reason.

A ground fault differential happens when something odd goes on between the two building's electrical systems. Even the best electrician and most expensive electrical panels will never prevent GFD from happening. When a ground in one of the two buildings falters for a micro-second, the electrical circuit seeking ground will travel the CAT ethernet and "could" affect your switch(es) on either end. AND IT WILL BE THE DARNDEST THING TO FIGURE OUT!

Fiber and wireless between buildings/electrical panels insures no GFD.

For the money, and the speed, I prefer fiber - and I prefer HP ProCurve network switches. The HP ProCurves can be bought on eBay for cheap, and have a lifetime warranty. If an individual port, cooling fan, power-supply, etc goes down or is in question, I get a replacement (rebuilt) the next day via FedEx with a return label for sending my broken iron back. Plus, HP is regularly updating the firmware (like monthly in some cases). HP ProCurve switches/routers also come in POE versions, if you need Power Over Ethernet for remote locations.

More details on fiber between buildings, equipment I like to use, see this previous post:

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=671177&mid=565...

Edited by YawLes 12/10/2017 17:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)