AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip tillers in I states
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Liljohn
Posted 12/9/2017 22:19 (#6418250 - in reply to #6418169)
Subject: RE: Strip tillers in I states

We went to stripping many years ago on bean stubble going into corn and had great success. I think it began with a fertilizer dealer buying a custom rig. We have never stripped for soybeans, had good luck no tilling into standing stalks in 15" rows. I'm not going to say I don't think in a cool, damp year the tillage doesn't get an advantage starting out, but every year is different.
This past year was our first year of corn on corn strips, and the results were great. We would normally run the dominator across in the fall, then put nh3 on in the spring, then soil finish before planting. Our test was 230 acre field, half strips and half the conventional and the yields between the two were virtually identical. It was one year, so I'm only putting so much weight on that test, but we are doing more for next year.
The major advantage that I see is the time and cost of covering the ground 3 times vs once... as well as controlling erosion better. My brother does the planting and tells me he would rather plant into strips as opposed to the other seed beds.
I also agree with the other response, rtk is necessary to do it well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)